Friday, September 5, 2008

Another English Essay

Write a dialogue between two or more people. Have each person involved speak at least twice.

----------
First, I must tell you that I very much condemn eavesdropping, both then and now. I would never have, under normal circumstances, listened in on any conversation to which I wasn't a part. But as I walked down the city street and passed a red brick wall with an untrimmed hedge spilling over the top, I heard something which perked up my interest.
“--kill a man!” said a voice, quiet and muffled, barely audible.
“What do you know?!” A second voice quickly rang, higher pitched, but raspy and thin with too much sarcasm.
There was a pause before the first replied, cowering before the second voice's menace. “Well, i-it's wrong.”
“You don't know anything.”
The first voice gained confidence, “And on the day before the sabbath!”
“You don't understand!” The raspy voice blurted out so suddenly as to make me start quickly and trip on a loose stone in the sidewalk. I quickly scrambled up again and leaned my ear against the cold brick. The voices were lower and unable to be understood. I started telling myself that it was probably nothing, when the voices stopped altogether. I strained my ears to hear what had caused them to stop but all I heard was a slow quiet rustle of leaves, like something climbing through a bush.
“Hehe-he..” I heard the second voice chuckle clearly; I looked up, hoping I wouldn't see what I knew I would.
The second voice belonged to a hideously ugly man with short curly black hair and a face which desperately needed a shave squeezed into a smirk. I got the instant impression that the death they were talking about over the wall was not the first this man had caused---and would not be the last.
----------

No comments: